Tulane and Notre Dame

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
nawlinspete
Riptide

Hopefully with Notre Dame seeking to schedule more games against "probable" wins in FB to enhance their FBS Playoff status we will soon hear of a two or four game home and home series with the Fighting Irish.

President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
Aberzombie1892
Swell

A Tulane two for one with Notre Dame would be really great, and, regardless of whether or not Notre Dame's AD and Coach realizes this not, but it is not oblivious to losing to G5 teams.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

I may be mistaken, but if memory serves, TD has said there will be no more "pay day games" or "two for one" scheduling....
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
swampnik
Surge

Would love to have ND back on the FB schedule.
Still remember the radio games in the 70's with Big Charlie Hall being in the Irish's face all day in Indy and the 60's game at Tulane stadium with a bad TU team that still brought out 41,000 Catholics for the night game. (wink)
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

It won’t happen in our lifetime. When Kevin White was AD at ND Tulane looked into it. We have a better chance to play them in the Sugar Bowl then to actually get on their schedule. ND schedules 20 years out. At this time they are booked up until 2037. Every school in the country would like to play ND.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Actually the scheduling to 2037 is their 5 games a year against ACC teams. They do have openings. If we continue to progress we should see if they'd make it part of the Shamrock Series.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:Actually the scheduling to 2037 is their 5 games a year against ACC teams. They do have openings. If we continue to progress we should see if they'd make it part of the Shamrock Series.
They play non conference Navy, Stanford and USC every year so that free’s up only one other non conference spot each year. Currently that spot is filled with Michigan and a bunch of SEC and MAC schools fill it up for quite sometime. They just don’t have room. It’s a fantasy I had at one time as well. Like I said the odds are better for us to meet in the Sugar Bowl then anytime during the regular season.
Tulane Class of 1981
nawlinspete
Riptide

tpstulane wrote:It won’t happen in our lifetime. When Kevin White was AD at ND Tulane looked into it. We have a better chance to play them in the Sugar Bowl then to actually get on their schedule. ND schedules 20 years out. At this time they are booked up until 2037. Every school in the country would like to play ND.
Actually if read properly the original post is about ND CHANGING their scheduling philosophy, and they will not wait 20 years to implement; meaning, they would change their extant schedules before 2038 . DUH !
President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

nawlinspete wrote:
tpstulane wrote:It won’t happen in our lifetime. When Kevin White was AD at ND Tulane looked into it. We have a better chance to play them in the Sugar Bowl then to actually get on their schedule. ND schedules 20 years out. At this time they are booked up until 2037. Every school in the country would like to play ND.
Actually if read properly the original post is about ND CHANGING their scheduling philosophy, and they will not wait 20 years to implement; meaning, they would change their extant schedules before 2038 . DUH !
Hopefully when that happens we’ll be good then so they won’t want to schedule us. :mrgreen:
Tulane Class of 1981
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote:
And where exactly did that hypothesis come from? Certainly not the ND alumni, whom want to play a top 20 schedule as they have just about every year I've been alive. I smell BS in the basis of this thread.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
nawlinspete
Riptide

DfromCT wrote:
nawlinspete wrote:
And where exactly did that hypothesis come from? Certainly not the ND alumni, whom want to play a top 20 schedule as they have just about every year I've been alive. I smell BS in the basis of this thread.
As reported by the world wide leader . Yesterday....
Show Me
Tsunami

DfromCT wrote:
nawlinspete wrote:
This!
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

nawlinspete wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
nawlinspete wrote:
Funny thing that it doesn't come up in three pages of google search. And a VERY informed alumnus that I know says he's heard nothing of the sort and thinks it's garbage. Smells like crap, tastes like crap, better not step in it.
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:Actually the scheduling to 2037 is their 5 games a year against ACC teams. They do have openings. If we continue to progress we should see if they'd make it part of the Shamrock Series.
They play non conference Navy, Stanford and USC every year so that free’s up only one other non conference spot each year. Currently that spot is filled with Michigan and a bunch of SEC and MAC schools fill it up for quite sometime. They just don’t have room. It’s a fantasy I had at one time as well. Like I said the odds are better for us to meet in the Sugar Bowl then anytime during the regular season.
Actually it leaves 4 more games. They play 5 ACC and those 3 so that's eight.
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
netshorty
Surge

DfromCT wrote:
nawlinspete wrote:
DfromCT wrote:
nawlinspete wrote:
Funny thing that it doesn't come up in three pages of google search. And a VERY informed alumnus that I know says he's heard nothing of the sort and thinks it's garbage. Smells like crap, tastes like crap, better not step in it.
Not sure why I'm contributing to such a dumb thread... But here's the link http://es.pn/2CnZ1EU
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

OK, I apologize for throwing the BS flag. I was wrong, it was not a fabrication.

At the same time, I'm still not buying after reading the article. How do you know which teams will be highly ranked when you're setting your schedule more than 5 years from now? ND isn't going to water down it's schedule so that they play Purdue, Wake Forest, Navy, Army and Air Force to end their season. And, frankly, a whole lot of ND alumni would rather get rid of Chip Kelly than water down the schedule. They're tired of him throwing his players under the bus and choking in the big game, both of which has been his calling card.

What a Rose Bowl. After a great Peach Bowl (and yes, the UCF victory literally brought tears to my eyes as my daughter SO deserved that joy after giving up her Christmas break by spending it in the hospital with her little brother).
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
The other 4 games are as follows:
They play one vs SEC and one vs MAC school.
They also rotate with the Big 10 besides Michigan.
Purdue (58-26-2) 09/19
Michigan State (49-29-1) 09/23
Northwestern (37-9-2) 11/03
Ohio State (2-4-0)
Wisconsin (8-6-2-0) 10/03

We have a better chance hosting LSU at Yulman then getting on ND’s schedule.
Tulane Class of 1981
netshorty
Surge

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Purdue (58-26-2) 09/19
Ohio State (2-4-0)

+1
I'll refrain from starting a similar thread that when we get a lacrosse team we should schedule a home and home with Johns Hopkins.
HoustonWave
Tsunami

swampnik wrote:Would love to have ND back on the FB schedule.
Still remember the radio games in the 70's with Big Charlie Hall being in the Irish's face all day in Indy and the 60's game at Tulane stadium with a bad TU team that still brought out 41,000 Catholics for the night game. (wink)
Your memory may be getting foggy, like mine. The only time we played ND in the 70's was in November 1971--when Charlie Hall, like all freshmen, was playing on Tulane's freshmen team--the Baby Billow.
Tulane is the University of Louisiana
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
winwave
Top of the WAVE

tpstulane wrote:
winwave wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
Purdue (58-26-2) 09/19
Ohio State (2-4-0)

Their scheduling isn't done thru 2037. They have the 5 ACC games a year and then Navy and USC for every year. Stanford has been a regular in the last decade but they are not married to that. They have broken off the long time arrangements with Michigan and Michigan State. So as I said they have a lot of room to add games. Sure it's a long shot to be put on their schedule but if we get to being at the top of our conference you can make the pitch to be on their in their Shamrock series in the Dome.
swampnik
Surge

HoustonWave wrote:
Your memory may be getting foggy, like mine. The only time we played ND in the 70's was in November 1971--when Charlie Hall, like all freshmen, was playing on Tulane's freshmen team--the Baby Billow.
1971: that is exactly the day game I remember listening to with my Dad driving in car from Shreveport to Saint Joseph, Missouri. I guess ND had a lot of stations that could be picked up in different states (though radio KEEL AM carried TU FB back then also). Hall's name was being called all day! I just thought we played them 1-2 more times in the 70's.
Anyone know if 1971 was our last scheduled game with the Irish?
nic, nic, nic, swamp!
-Jack N. (Easy Rider)
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

winwave wrote: Their scheduling isn't done thru 2037. They have the 5 ACC games a year and then Navy and USC for every year. Stanford has been a regular in the last decade but they are not married to that. They have broken off the long time arrangements with Michigan and Michigan State. So as I said they have a lot of room to add games. Sure it's a long shot to be put on their schedule but if we get to being at the top of our conference you can make the pitch to be on their in their Shamrock series in the Dome.
Going into 2018 Stanford and Notre Dame will have played each other 28 times over the last 30 years or 3 decades. They are scheduled to continue to play through 2026. They not dropping Stanford to play Tulane. When ND cut a deal with the AAC in 2014 they had to break off some long time arrangements and drop some traditional rivals like Michigan and Michigan St to make room on its schedule. As part of joining the AAC ND was allowed to remain independent in football but agreed to play five football games each season against ACC teams beginning in 2014 and contining though at least 2037. In 2013 Notre Dame and the Big East announced they had reached a settlement allowing Notre Dame to join the ACC effective July 1, 2013.
Try again.
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

swampnik wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
1971: that is exactly the day game I remember listening to with my Dad driving in car from Shreveport to Saint Joseph, Missouri. I guess ND had a lot of stations that could be picked up in different states (though radio KEEL AM carried TU FB back then also). Hall's name was being called all day! I just thought we played them 1-2 more times in the 70's.
I know we payed ND at Tulane in the late 60's or early 70's....
here is a decade of past schedules....check out some of these
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 14DOV1DFH9
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

swampnik wrote:
HoustonWave wrote:
I have a copy of the coaches film of that entire game. No audio however. I’m watching it now.
I’ll post some still shots. Maybe if I get time I’ll post some of the better highlights on YouTube.
We lost 21-7. I will put up a video of our one TD.

Our radio guy Steve Barrios caught a TD pass to give us the lead.
Tulane Class of 1981