UNC AND THE ACC

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
nawlinspete
Riptide

DrBox wrote:Eventually the Big 12 is going to make a move. Tulane needs to be in ready mode - never know when the opportunity is there.
EXACTLY WHY DICKSON NEEDS TO BE FIRED NOW.

President Fitts , B of A , it's put up or forever hold your peace time . Make Tulane ATHLETICS relevant and top 30 again .
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

DrBox wrote:Eventually the Big 12 is going to make a move. Tulane needs to be in ready mode - never know when the opportunity is there.
Correct, but we've opted out of B12 consideration by keeping Dickson and the Tulane Model. Every day that Dickson is employed is another day we wake up and shoot ourselves in the foot.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

My bet is that UNC ends up forfeiting a bunch of their games across most major sports over the last 15 years or so. They may even be stripped of some basketball championships. But they're not going to get the death penalty, nor will they get kicked out of the ACC.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
exflash
High Tide

Jaxwave wrote:Two points:
1. Not believable that this was perpetrated by the academic advisors without full knowledge of the athletic dept which the report seems to indicate and
2. THE NCAA KNOWS THIS IS GOING ON AT EVERY MAJOR ATHLETIC POWER. IT PRETTY MUCH STARTED EVERYWHERE IN THE 1970S WITH PROPOSITION 48 TO ENCOURAGE THE ADMISSION AND CONTINUING ELIGIBILITY OF MINORITY ATHLETES.

It defies logic to think that UNC invented this approach and no one else has the participated. We know Tennesse, Georgia and LSU in the SEC had this kind of thing going on and for the most part swept it under the rug by buying off the whistleblowers. Actually as I think about it Georgia had some pretty serious repercussions after Jan Kemp blew the whistle. FSU also just went through this scrutiny. This stuff is business as usual at the major athletic schools.
----------If it stays in the court of law with the suit by the 2 ladies ---LSU is toast---but with the payout of a half a million dollars the NCAA doesn't get further into it---Why with these very facts could they not penalize LSU beyond the hand slap!!!
wavefan03
Surge

It's pathetic the lack of media coverage on this.

Not surprising though since schools like Florida state and ole miss have 55% football graduation rates.
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

wavefan03 wrote:It's pathetic the lack of media coverage on this.

Not surprising though since schools like Florida state and ole miss have 55% football graduation rates.
This issue is far less egregious than the pathetic lack of media coverage of Scott Cowen's tenure. The unfortunate truth is that D1A athletics are big business that is too big and important to be constrained by the outdated "student/athlete" ideal, and thus it's hard for me to conclude that there are real "losers" in the media's ignoring of the NCAA issues.

Scott Cowen, on the other hand, has crippled a $B enterprise, perhaps destroyed the premier academic institution in a major city and with his decisions to drop engineering has badly damaged the NOLA economy (just look at the incentives to attract engineers). Given the media fawning all over him, THAT is what's pathetic.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

ccap05 wrote:Just idle speculation, but I assume that UNC is facing severe sanctions and perhaps a loss of their football program. I wonder if this will push the ACC to look to add a new member and if so who would be the most likely targets? Obviously they will be looking for a clean program. Tulane is probably not ready to make a serious push for membership should the opportunity arise but it is interesting speculating who might be offered and what this will do for Tulane's chances to up their attractiveness should other opportunities arise. I hope this does not turn into another fire RD rampage or I hate SC screed. It is obvious the program needs on field success in both FB and BB (and perhaps WBB).
Slap on the wrist. One year probation. That's it. It pays to cheat.
http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story ... gency-says
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
puffy
Surge

tpstulane wrote:
ccap05 wrote:Just idle speculation, but I assume that UNC is facing severe sanctions and perhaps a loss of their football program. I wonder if this will push the ACC to look to add a new member and if so who would be the most likely targets? Obviously they will be looking for a clean program. Tulane is probably not ready to make a serious push for membership should the opportunity arise but it is interesting speculating who might be offered and what this will do for Tulane's chances to up their attractiveness should other opportunities arise. I hope this does not turn into another fire RD rampage or I hate SC screed. It is obvious the program needs on field success in both FB and BB (and perhaps WBB).
One year of probation from the accreditation body. NCAA penalties are yet to be determined.
DfromCT
Wild Pelican

puffy wrote:
tpstulane wrote:
One year of probation from the accreditation body. NCAA penalties are yet to be determined.
While the NCAA penalties may be harsh, it won't be the death penalty, nor anything leading to an exit from the ACC. That was a pipe dream from the get go.
" If you laugh, you think, and you cry, that's a full day.." Jimmy V
jonathanjoseph
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote: Slap on the wrist. One year probation. That's it. It pays to cheat.
I'm shocked that there is gambling going on in this establishment!

Unquestionably, as we've seen with PSU, USC and UNC, committing major program infractions will do far less damage to an athletic program than 15 years of the Cowen/Dickson Tulane Model. That may sound like a dig but there's enough data that it's not far from a quantifiable fact.