Sad day for Louisiana High School Football

Discuss anything else athletic or non-athletic related that doesn't belong on the main Tulane athletics forum.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

Show Me wrote:
golfnut69 wrote:
Actually is back to what is right...why should I have to play against schools that have an unfair advantage of where I can get my players from, hell there was a time when Holy Cross had a dorm for the kids from Mississippi who played there, yet if I am East Jeff, I can only have the players from the parish line to jeff hwy to the lake to Transcontinental drive...plus I do not have the advantage of "red shirting' my players like John Curits, Evangel, Parkview Baptisit and the rest of the "select" minority in number, schools do... please find posted below Ken Trahans, sopping , heart wrenching, gut twisiting, sleepless night BS article..

http://sportsnola.com/time-public-priva ... pes-unity/
The entire separation was to punish Curtis. Other then Curtis and Rummel very few if any privates have won state championships in the last 20 years or so. Why is segregation OK when I comes to athletics and integration is OK want to comes to academics?
LMAO at the suggestion of public school segregation !!!!...Let's see, if I have this correct, we want to be part of the State Athletic Association, but we want our own league, we do not want to have to play public schools, so we want a catholic League only...and U question segregation, what a joke !! Hell, they were so holier than thou, they would not even allow Black Catholic Schools to be in their league !!!..Please see the movie, "Passing Glory" documenting the Jesuit-St Aug unofficial State championship game which featured Harold Sylvester, and here is a hint, he did not play for St Aug vs the Mang Brothers and friends, most of whom were from Jeff Parish by the way, so there goes your recruiting boundary argument out of the window .

Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

Seems to me the private schools WANT to play the public schools. I'm sure you'll find when the actual votes come out tomorrow, that it was the PUBLIC school officials that voted to keep the split.

As for having a "Catholic League" only without public schools, Chalmette was in that district for many, many years. I don't ever remember during my years in school or later anyone not wanting to play Chalmette because they were a "public" school. And we played East Jefferson every year. The only reason they stopped playing Chalmette was because of reclassification.

So get along with your BS, golfnut.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
Eaglewave
Swell

I agree on different classes or divisions for public schools, however, the playoff number of participating teams shouldn't be as large. Having teams in the playoffs with losing records is just stupid.
Ball Sumrall!
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:Seems to me the private schools WANT to play the public schools. I'm sure you'll find when the actual votes come out tomorrow, that it was the PUBLIC school officials that voted to keep the split.

As for having a "Catholic League" only without public schools, Chalmette was in that district for many, many years. I don't ever remember during my years in school or later anyone not wanting to play Chalmette because they were a "public" school. And we played East Jefferson every year. The only reason they stopped playing Chalmette was because of reclassification.

So get along with your BS, golfnut.
When I played at East Jeff, Chalmette was part of the Public School District...obviously I am older than you and remember the circumstances in a different light...What I have posted is fact, not fiction ...and the only reason you played East Jeff was in an out of district contest. I remember Chalmette being forced into the "Catholic league" by the LHSAA not by an invitation from the league members..... I never said, the public schools and catholic schools never played, I posted they wanted their own little district, without recruiting borders, that hamstrung public schools...the only reason the teams from Monroe do well, is there are almost no catholic or private schools there....Evangel has made the public schools in Shreveport almost irrelevant...now what part do I have incorrect ?
Be a Hero Today.... Adopt a Shelter Pet... The Beatles once sang "Can't Buy Me Love"... I disagree, unconditional Love can be bought, for the nominal adoption fee at your local Pet Shelter !
RobertM320
Green Wave

golfnut69 wrote: LMAO at the suggestion of public school segregation !!!!...Let's see, if I have this correct, we want to be part of the State Athletic Association, but we want our own league, we do not want to have to play public schools, so we want a catholic League only...and U question segregation, what a joke !! Hell, they were so holier than thou, they would not even allow Black Catholic Schools to be in their league !!!..Please see the movie, "Passing Glory" documenting the Jesuit-St Aug unofficial State championship game which featured Harold Sylvester, and here is a hint, he did not play for St Aug vs the Mang Brothers and friends, most of whom were from Jeff Parish by the way, so there goes your recruiting boundary argument out of the window .

Your words, not mine.

There was never an issue with playing public schools. As for districts, that was always determined by the LHSAA or their predecessor. I was in school in the mid 70's. In later years they had Rummel in the same district as Slidell. The reason the Catholic Schools wanted to remain in the same district was to maintain rivalries. When the LHSAA forced schools to play within their classification some years back, it pushed Shaw and Holy Cross to 4A and DeLaSalle all the way to 3A. It was impossible to play all your regular district games and still play all your traditional rivals, so of course they complained. But they didn't take their ball and walk away.

The thing that no one has yet to explain is, the public schools complain private schools have an advantage because they can recruit. But over the last 25-30 years, how many times has a private school actually won the state title, especially in what is currently 5A? There were a few times with Evangel around 2000, and the very last season before the split it was Rummel, but otherwise you need to go back to the 70's to Brother Martin and St. Augustine to find a private/Catholic school winning the top classification. Hardly enough to make the public schools case for needing a separate classification.
"That mantra is the only consistent thing that never needs to ever change for the rest of this program’s existence because that is all that matters & as long as that keeps occurring, everything will handle itself" -- Nick Anderson
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

RobertM320 wrote:
golfnut69 wrote: LMAO at the suggestion of public school segregation !!!!...Let's see, if I have this correct, we want to be part of the State Athletic Association, but we want our own league, we do not want to have to play public schools, so we want a catholic League only...and U question segregation, what a joke !! Hell, they were so holier than thou, they would not even allow Black Catholic Schools to be in their league !!!..Please see the movie, "Passing Glory" documenting the Jesuit-St Aug unofficial State championship game which featured Harold Sylvester, and here is a hint, he did not play for St Aug vs the Mang Brothers and friends, most of whom were from Jeff Parish by the way, so there goes your recruiting boundary argument out of the window .

Your words, not mine.

There was never an issue with playing public schools. As for districts, that was always determined by the LHSAA or their predecessor. I was in school in the mid 70's. In later years they had Rummel in the same district as Slidell. The reason the Catholic Schools wanted to remain in the same district was to maintain rivalries. When the LHSAA forced schools to play within their classification some years back, it pushed Shaw and Holy Cross to 4A and DeLaSalle all the way to 3A. It was impossible to play all your regular district games and still play all your traditional rivals, so of course they complained. But they didn't take their ball and walk away.

The thing that no one has yet to explain is, the public schools complain private schools have an advantage because they can recruit. But over the last 25-30 years, how many times has a private school actually won the state title, especially in what is currently 5A? There were a few times with Evangel around 2000, and the very last season before the split it was Rummel, but otherwise you need to go back to the 70's to Brother Martin and St. Augustine to find a private/Catholic school winning the top classification. Hardly enough to make the public schools case for needing a separate classification.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

the majority of the Principals have spoken / voted....it looks like for now, there will be a Public and Select championships... and as one former Brother Martin Coach stated, all of the private school cheaters, without borders can play among themselves .... now, who was the latest, greatest commit ?
ajcalhoun
Swell

This is and always has been about two schools, Evangel and John Curtis.
God Bless Everyone!
RobertM320
Green Wave

ajcalhoun wrote:This is and always has been about two schools, Evangel and John Curtis.
Thank you.
tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

ajcalhoun wrote:This is and always has been about two schools, Evangel and John Curtis.
+1,000,000,000
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

actually..Curtis and Evangel perfected what the other private institutions were doing or attempting to do for years... multi parish / state recruiting, and they perfected the art of the red shirt program...so Curtis and Evangel and few other God fearing schools, ( Parkview Baptist, Ouchita Baptist come to mind) have beaten the traditional Private schools at their own game... so while Curtis and Evangel are bearing the blame for this of this "split" it is something that has been in the making for years
RobertM320
Green Wave

Golf, why do you have some axe to grind? Even the Catholic schools couldn't compete with what Curtis and Evangel were doing. There's a difference between recruiting good STUDENTS, and specifically recruiting students who were exceptional ATHLETES. You can't paint with that broad a brush. Due to their higher standards, private schools IN GENERAL need to draw from a wider area. But yes, Curtis and Evangel used that to their advantage to enroll ATHLETES.
Wavetime
Swell

The Public Schools wanted the separation. The LHSAA will lose some serious cash if the "Selects" pull out. They should, why would they want to stay.

tpstulane
Top of the WAVE

Wavetime wrote:The Public Schools wanted the separation. The LHSAA will lose some serious cash if the "Selects" pull out. They should, why would they want to stay.

Right. That should quit scheduling them completely. That's their main source of revenue playing privates.
Be proactive, being reactive is for losers..
Tulane Class of 1981
winwave
Top of the WAVE

Yep.
BAYWAVE&Sophandros are SPINELESS COWARDS
YOU NEED LEVERAGE TO BE PROACTIVE!
Small time facilities for small time programs
6-4-23:Now all of the mistakes Tulane has made finally catches up with them as they descend to CUSAAC.
RobertM320
Green Wave

tpstulane wrote:
Wavetime wrote:The Public Schools wanted the separation. The LHSAA will lose some serious cash if the "Selects" pull out. They should, why would they want to stay.

Right. That should quit scheduling them completely. That's their main source of revenue playing privates.
Good point, TP. It may mean the privates would have to travel further to fill out a schedule, but so what? Sometimes people need to learn things the hard way. Let the privates stop playing the publics at all, in any sport, and within five years you'll have a number of public schools dropping some sports due to costs.
golfnut69
Wild Pelican

number of public schools in Louisiana...1303
number of private schools in Louisiana...447
number of charter schools in Louisiana...104

In the state of Texas the breakdown is...Public 3263.... Private 446, which has their own Athletic Association -TAPPS
RobertM320
Green Wave

http://theadvocate.com/sports/latestspo ... nveils-res

Looks like this really is much ado about nothing. If the private schools don't care enough to even vote....smh

Schools like Rummel, Shaw, Catholic - Pointe Coupee, Central Catholic, Dominican, Country Day, Lutheran, Notre Dame, St. Martins, all didn't even bother to vote. The ones that did, all voted no.

In an interesting twist, Destrehan voted YES to the split, while Hahnville voted NO. Go figure.
Bearwave
High Tide

RobertM320 wrote:IMG Academy is exactly the type of place that is an issue. But Rummel's not drawing kids from Texas and Arizona to come play football. And I agree with the Curtis issue of starting at 1st grade.

How do you explain a school like Destrehan? Our entire population on the East Bank of the river in St. Charles Parish is < 20K. The school has 1300 students. They don't recruit from everywhere. And yet, they've won MULTIPLE titles in the past 10 years and are a constant contender. The schools in greater New Orleans have a much larger pool of population to draw from.

Did anyone ever think that maybe its more a case of coaching? New Orleans public schools can't pay their coaches and staffs what a private school does, so where do you think the best coaches end up? Just like teachers. And didn't we just see what happens the last four years when coaching sucks? Just like Coach Fritz can take lesser players and coach them up, the coaches at the private schools coach their kids up better, and also probably get more kids with a proper work ethic and attitude to be successful to work with.
You do realize that Destrehan voted for the split while my alma mater Hahnville voted against the split. This split is terrible, had the LHSAA just enforced their existing rules this wouldn't have happened.
Bears are Ready to Rhule! Sic'em
RobertM320
Green Wave

Bearwave, I saw that this morning and posted such at the end of my last post.